- This event has passed.
The Tartan Fleck Bookbinding Workshop
November 4, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm$250
Learn the ancient art of the Coptic Stitch as you make your own book with local bookbinders Paula and Marcus from ‘Something for Keeps’.
Something for Keeps invite you to participate in a practical hands-on workshop aimed at creating a basic book structure using Coptic binding.
The Coptic stitch is an extremely early form of bookbinding used by the ‘Copts’ from Egypt.
It involved a clever use of cord rather than glue.
Coptic stitched books generally allow the book to be opened out flat without weakening the spine or signatures.
It is amongst the most popular bindings for Artist Journals and can be adapted to any number of creative endeavours.
There are 2 workshops available. Each runs for 2 1/2 hours.
- Morning Workshop – 10 am -12.30 pm
- Afternoon Workshop – 1.30 pm -4 pm
In each workshop you will;
- Explore bookbinding techniques of folding, sewing, cutting, and covering books
- Make an artisan journal bound using the traditional Coptic Stich method
- With your very own bookbinding kit.
- This workshop is for adults only and places are extremely limited.
- A bookbinding kit is included in workshop price.
The Kit includes;
- instruction manual,
- All material and tools for workshop
- Plus extra supplies for further bookbinding adventures.